Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Menus To Go With The Sales!

I have complied a list of meals that go with Mom's Comp. List for the week.  I hope they are helpful for you.  I have not included condiments in the menus, because I know we all have our own tastes and prefer different stuff.  Heck, just the four of us in our one little family all prefer different condiments.  So, put whatever you have on whatever you want.  I do want to point out though, there are several condiments on sale this week.  Picking up an extra BBQ sauce or Mayo this week may be a good idea!

Click Here for Menu Printable

I also want to include a few simple recipes.  I have some baked goods on this menu.  With salads, casseroles and sandwiches, you can always add a pinch of this and a handful of that, but with baking that doesn't always work.  I don't want you to end up with hockey pucks for biscuits, or soggy carrot cake, so here you go.

Biscuits
3 cups AP Flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
3/4 cup cold butter
1 1/4 cup milk (minus 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In a 2 cup measuring cup, pour 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.  Add the milk until you have 1 1/4 cup of liquid.  Let this sit and get a little funky.
In a big bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tarter.
With a pastry blender, potato masher or a couple of forks, cut in your cold butter.  Keep pressing it into the flour until it is coarse crumbs.  Stir in the milk and mix until just moistened and no more.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough just a few times just until the dough sticks together.  Over kneading makes for a tough biscuit.  Don't do it.
Using your hands pat the dough down until it is evenly 3/4 inch thick.  Cut the dough with a floured biscuit cutter, or a glass with a thin rim.

Place biscuits 1/2 inch apart on a ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 450* for 10 or 12 minutes or until nice and golden.


I recommend using this recipe for the carrot cake...lots of baking staples are on sale this week.  It will be a good week to bake!
The Pioneer Woman's Carrot Cake

However, I have to say, I do not put cream cheese frosting on my carrot cakes.  I prefer buttercream.  I'm a buttercream kind of girl. Plus, butter is on sale this week.  Cream cheese is not. Here is my recipe:

Buttercream
2 sticks of softened, salted butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powder sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Beat butter and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.  With the mixer on low, slowly add half of the sugar.  Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk.  Slowly mix in the rest of the sugar.  Stir in the milk and beat until smooth.

Strawberry Clouds Recipe
~Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment