Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Mexican Seasoning

Rarely do I bother with spending extra money on a special spice blend.  I am not always confident in what companies are putting in those spice blends or seasoning packets, and they are much more expensive than the single spices at the grocery store. In a homemade spice blend, you can control the ingredients.    You are free to make them more or less spicy, depending upon your own personal taste.  You are also free to control the amount of salt you are seasoning your meals with.
This is how I like to make my spice blend for my Mexican dishes:
3 Tablespoons of Cumin
1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon of Onion Powder
2 teaspoons of Paprika (sometimes I use regular, sometimes smokey)
2 teaspoons of Oregano
1 teaspoon of Garlic
Stir and add to your favorite Mexican Dishes.
If you want a little heat, add some Cayenne.   
Take notice that this recipe has NO Salt.  I recommend you add the salt to your dish, to taste.  Sometimes you need a lot, sometimes you need none.

I use this instead of the little packet of taco seasoning.  Stir a tablespoon or two into your meat, add salt and pepper to taste.
I also like to sprinkle this without salt onto a bean and cheese quesadilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment