Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ready to Go Breakfasts

My family likes to start the day with a hot breakfast.  However, we struggle to get a homemade, hot breakfast on the table, and still make the school bus at 6:45 a.m.
So, instead of spending money on expensive and not so healthy, convenient breakfast foods, I made my own.  All we need to do is nuke them in the microwave and enjoy.

Last week, I decided to go through my cabinets and see what I can pre-make for breakfast.  Instead of making lunch on Friday, I made breakfast:)
I had stuff on hand for cinnamon raisin breakfast rice, oatmeal with blueberries, oatmeal with apples and raisins, plus buns, bagels, ham, sausage, eggs and cheese.  I have discovered that this is an excellent way to clear out bits of groceries that won't exactly make a whole meal.
So, our menu for breakfast this week is:
cinnamon & raisin rice, blueberry oatmeal, apple cinnamon & raisin oatmeal, ham sandwiches, egg ham & cheese sandwiches, sausage & egg bagels.


The oatmeal and rice was stored in a sealed bowl and is kept in the fridge.  The sandwiches are wrapped in baggies and kept in the freezer.  We add a little more milk and butter to the rice and oatmeal and microwave until heated through.  The sandwiches are microwaved with the bag open for 1 1/2 minutes and turning every 30 seconds.
So, far my family has loved having these ready to go in the morning.  No one has been going to work or school with only cold cereal in their tummies.
I usually make breakfast for supper once a week, so I plan on restocking some of the breakfast items then.  Perhaps, making a weekly breakfast for lunch isn't such a bad idea either.

Do any of you use shortcuts when it comes to putting breakfast on the table?  What works best in your family?  We would love to hear your comments!
~Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment