Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

French Bread with Herbs


Here is an old favorite recipe that I am moving over from my old Teeny Tiny Kitchen Blog.  Early spring it the perfect time to harvest chives for this bread! 
The beauty of this recipe is that it is easily changed up and customized to what you like best, or what you have on hand.  I made mine with butter and chives.  The Stephenson Ranch has some lovely chives out in the herb garden.
And, butter just happens to be one of my favorite ingredients of all time.
So, I married the two and came up with this:
Here is how I did it:
Ingredients:
French Bread (I used a loaf of homemade whole wheat I had made the day before.)
Butter ( Salted, although you could substitute olive oil.)
Chives (Again, you could substitute or mix your favorite herbs.  Rosemary is wonderful, too!)

Slice the loaf of French Bread down the middle lengthwise, and place on a large cookie sheet.
The spread each loaf generously with the softened butter.  I used a half of a stick of butter on the two loaves (my jeans have been tight lately).  However, it is absolutely insanely yummy when you use a whole stick.  
Then pop them into a 350* oven for 8 to 10 minutes.  
During this time the butter will melt down into the bread and the bottom and outside of the crust will begin to toast.
Pull  it out and sprinkle on the herbs, as light or heavy as you would like.  
Put it back into the oven, but this time broil it on high for about 2 minutes. 
Keep a close eye on it!!!  You want the butter to caramelize and the edges of the bread to really brown up, but you don't want any burning.  If you take you eyes off of it, it can really burn fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment