Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Semi-Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken pot pie is a comfort food around our house.  It is something that pleases my meat and potatoes lovin' husband.  And it pleases me because it is a great way to get a variety of veggies into my kiddos.  It is also a dish that has a million ways of making it.  You can take all day perfecting the crust and filling, or you can quickly toss it together and let the oven do the majority of the work for you.
This recipe is the toss together kind.  Literally.  No measuring, just tossing together.
Recipes like this are great personalization.  Feel free to add any other vegetables you like, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, ect.  You can also add any of your favorite seasonings.  Bay, basil or sage would all be great.
Here is how I tossed it together:
I started with a couple of deep dish frozen pie crusts.  As you can see, my son helps me put the groceries away and one crust is a little worse for wear.  Never fear, it can be rescued and turned into a perfect top crust.
Pull these out of the freezer and allow them to warm until (at least the top crust) is soft and pliable again.
Preheat your oven to 350*.
Cook up a couple of chicken breasts.  You could do this on the stove top or use leftovers.  I nuked them in the microwave. I like to turn them every couple of minutes.
Dice up your cooked chicken and season it however you like.  I used onion powder, garlic powder, oregano , salt and pepper.  If your chicken is a little pink when you dice it up, don't worry. It will finish cooking through in the oven.
Toss 3 - 4 cups of veggies into a bowl ( I used frozen mixed veggies) and top it with 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1/3 of a can of milk.
Season your veggies. Again, I used pepper, garlic, onion powder and oregano.  Stir that together and add your chicken.
Stir the chicken into the veggies and warm it into the microwave until the veggies are no longer frozen.

If it looks a little too juicy, like mine does here, add a few more veggies or a tablespoon of flour.
Pour your chicken and veggie mixture into your bottom crust.
To save my top crust, I cut it into strips.  If you don't need to save your crust, you still need to cut some openings into it.  The pie needs to be able to breath in the oven so that you don't end up with a soggy crust.
I used the extra bits to pretty up my pie. It was kinda ugly before.
Wisk together an egg with a tablespoon of water and brush it over the top of your pie.
Put your pie onto a rimmed baking sheet and put it into the oven.  Bake at 350* for 45 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400* and bake for 15 more minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Yum!
~Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment